Galiavan 2657
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roll call

2 posters

Go down

Roll call  Empty Roll call

Post  Crisis Rocan Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:25 am

From here

Whispers on the wind circled around her in the blizzard as she walked the lone single lane road over the lake to the castle gates.  As she neared the walls the blizzard abated enough to see a line of people formed halfway down the road to the edge of the lake where she had come from.  A line that seemed to grow rather than shrink as she neared it.  The whispers on the wind blend with the voices of the crowd waiting to get inside the walls of the castle where at least the blizzard is tamed, if not the wilds of the frozen north.

"Is it really that tough?"

"How long?"

"Life?"

"Do they really hunt people who run away?"

Words, questions, statements, thoughts, and fears swirl in the blizzards snowfall, swallowed by the storm as she finds a place at the back of the line which moves ever so slowly forward.  As what seem like hours pass and the sun clears the cloud coverage for the first time during the storm.  Dyn finds herself finally standing just inside the castle's gates looking onto an open courtyard.  Lines of people including those who were just in front of her have formed in the crowd in the center of the courtyard snow falling all around as the stand waiting.

Dyn stood before the man at the gate raising her grandfather's letter, but he waved her through looking out behind her into the storm.

"Just fall in line Miss, everything will come in due time after that. Move along and fall in."

Crisis Rocan
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Roll call  Empty Re: Roll call

Post  Dyn Dreyrbyn Srey Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:52 pm

Crisis Rocan wrote:From here

Whispers on the wind circled around her in the blizzard as she walked the lone single lane road over the lake to the castle gates.  As she neared the walls the blizzard abated enough to see a line of people formed halfway down the road to the edge of the lake where she had come from.  A line that seemed to grow rather than shrink as she neared it.  The whispers on the wind blend with the voices of the crowd waiting to get inside the walls of the castle where at least the blizzard is tamed, if not the wilds of the frozen north.

"Is it really that tough?"

"How long?"

"Life?"

"Do they really hunt people who run away?"

Words, questions, statements, thoughts, and fears swirl in the blizzards snowfall, swallowed by the storm as she finds a place at the back of the line which moves ever so slowly forward.  As what seem like hours pass and the sun clears the cloud coverage for the first time during the storm.  Dyn finds herself finally standing just inside the castle's gates looking onto an open courtyard.  Lines of people including those who were just in front of her have formed in the crowd in the center of the courtyard snow falling all around as the stand waiting.

Dyn stood before the man at the gate raising her grandfather's letter, but he waved her through looking out behind her into the storm.

"Just fall in line Miss, everything will come in due time after that.  Move along and fall in."

"Excuse me," She began, even as the man waved her off. "I need to speak with the one in charge of the Academy, I don't have an official appointment, but I have this letter written by my late grandfather who expressed his interest that I should head to this academy." she tried to explain in a formal, polite mannered way. "Might I enter, so I can explain my arrival in a more appropriate fashion?" She asked.
Dyn Dreyrbyn Srey
Dyn Dreyrbyn Srey
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post  Crisis Rocan Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:27 pm

"Fall in line, fall in line, move along, save your questions for after roll call and muster. Once everyone is settled I'm sure all your questions ill be answered."

The man at the gate droned on not really paying attention to her as she spoke, simply processing her as a number and new recruit like everyone else who came to the Gunslinger Academy in the north. They didn't get many normal visitors, and those almost never came in when new recruits were being processed. Something about not wanting to be mistakenly processed and enrolled into the Gunslinger Academy ranks, where the only way to leave was in a casket, or hunted down until the run away was in one. A mistake to be certain, but the gates were already closing as there were no more recruits crossing the lone road of bridges and isle back to the shore.

"Move along miss, gates closing for the night."

That was the last thing she heard from the guard as he watched the gate lower securing the Gunslinger Academy for the time being, and moving on himself.

Crisis Rocan
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post  Dyn Dreyrbyn Srey Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:13 pm

Crisis Rocan wrote:"Fall in line, fall in line, move along, save your questions for after roll call and muster.  Once everyone is settled I'm sure all your questions ill be answered."

The man at the gate droned on not really paying attention to her as she spoke, simply processing her as a number and new recruit like everyone else who came to the Gunslinger Academy in the north.  They didn't get many normal visitors, and those almost never came in when new recruits were being processed.  Something about not wanting to be mistakenly processed and enrolled into the Gunslinger Academy ranks, where the only way to leave was in a casket, or hunted down until the run away was in one.  A mistake to be certain, but the gates were already closing as there were no more recruits crossing the lone road of bridges and isle back to the shore.  

"Move along miss, gates closing for the night."

That was the last thing she heard from the guard as he watched the gate lower securing the Gunslinger Academy for the time being, and moving on himself.

She chuckled. "I'm not here to enroll into the academy, I'm here to speak with the one in charge. I'm sure there are rules and regulations for this sort of thing now, isn't there?" She asked. "The matter is not completely urgent, and if you deny me entry I shall simply camp here till dawn break," She says, removing her hood, showing off her face:

Roll call  Dyn

"This cold air's nothing for me, in fact this blizzard's rather tame for this time of year if I do say so myself." She smirked. "So... am I allowed entry, or am I camping out here on this bridge?"
Dyn Dreyrbyn Srey
Dyn Dreyrbyn Srey
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post  Crisis Rocan Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:35 am

"In... out... not my problem miss, gates closing either way. You want to talk to the head you have to come in, you don't want to get recruited and sign on you wait outside. Could be days, maybe even weeks to a month before the gates open again though, maybe you get lucky and they let you stand around and not get recruited, can only say I've seen it happen just once in my time here. Well gates closing either way in just a minute make up your mind quick lass. It could be another month before the gates are open to the public at the most."

The guard no longer concerned with whether or not Dyn came inside turned away he had a gate to lower either way. On the other side of the gate a young man leaned against the castles inner wall, half eyeing the bridge back to the frozen wilderness. Half nodding off while the recruits all stood in ranks, waiting for the their days at the gunslinger Academy to begin. He didn't look as though he belonged here, he didn't look as though he particularly wanted to stay either. But he wasn't moving. The guard had looked in his direction when he spoke of a person not being recruited once during his time at the academy.

Roll call  Crisis17

Half nodding off while standing his head dipped down and he sneezed...

Roll call  Crisis18

In the blink of a sneeze the entire body of the young man shifted, changing from the dark haired boy to that of a blonde in red. His hand threaded through his now blonde hair as his eyes squinted in a look of irritation. He shook his head his lips mouthing the words "red's just not my color", closing his eyes a few moments passed. With a nod he remained where he was standing but in a more fitting sort of skin to his sense of aesthetics.

Roll call  Crisis19

Crisis Rocan
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post  Dyn Dreyrbyn Srey Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:58 am

Crisis Rocan wrote:"In... out... not my problem miss, gates closing either way.  You want to talk to the head you have to come in, you don't want to get recruited and sign on you wait outside.  Could be days, maybe even weeks to a month before the gates open again though, maybe you get lucky and they let you stand around and not get recruited, can only say I've seen it happen just once in my time here.  Well gates closing either way in just a minute make up your mind quick lass.  It could be another month before the gates are open to the public at the most."

The guard no longer concerned with whether or not Dyn came inside turned away he had a gate to lower either way.  On the other side of the gate a young man leaned against the castles inner wall, half eyeing the bridge back to the frozen wilderness.  Half nodding off while the recruits all stood in ranks, waiting for the their days at the gunslinger Academy to begin.  He didn't look as though he belonged here, he didn't look as though he particularly wanted to stay either.  But he wasn't moving.  The guard had looked in his direction when he spoke of a person not being recruited once during his time at the academy.  

Roll call  Crisis17

Half nodding off while standing his head dipped down and he sneezed...  

Roll call  Crisis18

In the blink of a sneeze the entire body of the young man shifted, changing from the dark haired boy to that of a blonde in red.  His hand threaded through his now blonde hair as his eyes squinted in a look of irritation.  He shook his head his lips mouthing the words "red's just not my color", closing his eyes a few moments passed.  With a nod he remained where he was standing but in a more fitting sort of skin to his sense of aesthetics.

Roll call  Crisis19

Dyn sighed, confused by the guard's words. She thought she had the right of it, so she slipped inside before the gates closed up. She crossed the bridge, her calves and her glutes jiggling as she did, noticing the new face standing by the castle's inner wall thanks to the guard's general nod. They looked young, kind of cute with dark hair-blonde-wait, what? She blinked again, and the young man's appearance was back... sorta. Similar at least.

"Red's just not my color," he mouthed she noticed, close enough to read his lips. She smirked and paused beside him. "Red's not my color either, I prefer green, but blue's nice too." She chuckled, her odd hilt like weapon bouncing off her hip. She turned to him, and noticed he didn't look like the type to brave such cold winters. She placed a hand on her hip and glanced him up and down. "So you're a non recruit too, or another cadet like the others milling through here?" She asked, realizing she didn't have to be immediate with her meeting with the head of the Academy... he was cute after all.
Dyn Dreyrbyn Srey
Dyn Dreyrbyn Srey
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post  Crisis Rocan Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:05 am

The wind seemed to steer clear of the interior of the open courtyard of the castle, and the snow which drifted into the courtyard melted long before it hit the hard packed dirt  But the temperature was bitter cold on the warmest of summer days, and this was no warm summer day.  The young man shifted his weight as Dyn approached her words catching him as his eyes changed color behind half closed lids.  

Yeah blue is a nice color, kind of fond of it myself really... but this blue ball weather is...

He trailed off as he opened his eyes all the way to look at the person speaking to him, a person not from the academy.  The first besides the old codger flitting in and out of the young man's eyesight alone.  He had a inclination of just who the old man really was, and frankly he wasn't interested in dealing with the patron God of the Gunslingers.  Every time they ran into one another it seemed war and death followed.  But his eyes were caught by all the blue, as she asked him about what he was here for.

I think I'm a little old for their ranks, honestly.  Anyway me, oh, you could say I just kind of fell into being here.  They keep trying to get me to sign on, been here three or four days already, and they don't seem to like the idea of my saying no very much.  Something in the air maybe, they seem to think anyone crazy enough to walk in this weather in this part of the region is hellbent on becoming a Gunslinger.  Not too mention the day after I got here, everyone seemed to be in a different mood.   More serious about their annual recruitment season, like some giant bug crawl up their, well that or someone high up in the ranks of the Association made an unexpected visit.  That might explain the attitude from the head on down the last few days.

He took his time to get a better look at her, she wasn't the typical type he had seen over the last few days, nothing about her said Gunslinger, or even wannabe Gunslinger.  Not the least of which was the hilt on her hip, something stuck him odd about it.  Not many would carry around a hilt instead of a proper weapon so prominently as she did this hilt.

To answer you properly I'm not one of them or even considering to be one of them, just happened to end up in the area as it were, when someone heading this way insisted on bringing me here.  Been refusing their advances ever since, and they aren't to keen on letting anyone who comes inside their gates leave until they've signed on.  Of course that's a life long commission from what I've heard.

Name's Crisis...,  Crisis Rocan, I'm sort of a traveling man, what brings you to this frozen ass crack of the world if not the near mythical skills and wonderful dental plan of the Gunslinger Association.  Miss?  It is Miss I take it?

Crisis Rocan
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post  Dyn Dreyrbyn Srey Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:21 am

She smirked at the remark of blue, kept it as he continued to explain his situation to her, once catching his eyes falling upon the hilt of her Frostflower, as well as other parts of her which were welcome. Once finished she chuckled. "Indeed, Miss Dyn Dreyrbyn Srey, of the Pale. I'm from this ass crack of civilization," She says opening her arms wide, her curves swaying as she took a moment to spin around in the frigid air, her cloak flapping around her shoulders, only stilling once she met eyes with the young man again. "not this particular part of the region, but I'm used to cold summers and diamond dust winters, Mr? I assume, right? You're a touch on the pretty side~" She teased, before holding out her hand. "But Crisis you say? Well then, we are well met." She smirks. "And to better answer you Crisis, I'm here since my late Grandfather sent me a letter to come out to this keep and speak to someone about my sword here." She nodded to the hilt on her hip, while her hand was still outstretched for him to shake or what have you.
Dyn Dreyrbyn Srey
Dyn Dreyrbyn Srey
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post  Crisis Rocan Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:27 am

Dammit I'm smirking at her comments. Well can't be helped with a deliberate sway to her hips and that odd flair she radiates. Guess I'll take her hand. Well no sense wasting the moment when I can hear such interesting music on my internal sound track playing right now.

So Far So Good by Thornley seemed a bit odd for the moment, but than again if I keep flipping looks and changing everything about myself on a moments notice without actually doing it myself I might really be in something resembling deep shit. Oh well, I'll contemplate that later... shit I can feel it happening this time, I swear if I turn into a woman I'm going to take it out on Corvaeus out of spit and irony. Well I don't even want to see how I look now, I'm sure it's going to be brought up any minute now by this ice queen... well at least on this encounter with a winter wonder woman I didn't have my clothes stolen and eaten by a pesky fucking Penguin. I caught a glimpse of my her and clothes, I wasn't liking what I looked like this time, although the green hair was a bit farfetched to be sure.

Roll call  Crisis20

Ok a red umbrella with a, yup it's got a concealed cane sword in it, this is getting out of hand, I need to find out what is going on and soon.
Well I might as well make the most of it. Her words were disarming enough, and I'm guessing she caught my previous unexpected transformation and seems to be taking it in stride for the moment at least. Guess I should say something instead of brooding internally over things I really can't help at the moment...

Wait a minute did she just say her name is Drier bin, stop smirking jackass, you're hearing things you have to be hearing things, this world isn't that .... no... no it is that screwed up.

Mister, Master, Sir, I'm not really fond of any of those titles they just don't sound right to me.

Oh I'm still holding her hand and I haven't really done anything appropriate with it yet. Did she just I'm on the pretty side, oh that wounds me so. If only she knew the half of it, just imagine being sick and every time you have to say something important you sneeze, but instead of being sick you just can't explain it and than instead of sneezing you just randomly change from one freakishly pretty boy look to the next. I might start to develop a complex if I don't get this under control soon oh god here it goes again.

Roll call  Crisis21

Well at least I got a pair of sunglasses back, dammit their yellow. Oh but enough about my problems with attire Miss Dyn... Dyn?

Okay now I just sound like a jackass, just shut up kiss her hand and pretend for a moment like you aren't have a humanoid mental break down, it's the body switching it has to be the body switching. Just keep kissing her hand for a moment longer, compose yourself ignore the giant elephant of a problem with your Essence spinning out of control and shape-shifting you into the cover boys of teen magazine weekly. Ok you got your shit together for about three seconds? Good, now lift your head met her eyes and be cool.

It's a pleasure to meet you, though I must say your not likely to find many who have interest in swords here, being a Gunslinger Academy and all, are you sure this is where he wanted you to come. It just seems an odd place to bring a sword and look for someone to... Wait I'm sorry what exactly is it your sword needs, I mean despite the obvious lack of a solid blade?

Crisis Rocan
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post  Dyn Dreyrbyn Srey Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:34 pm

She chuckled as he took her hand and kissed it, seemingly ignoring his transformations for the moment. "We are very well met, and Dyn is fine, Crisis." She replied. "Interesting abilities you've got there indeed..." She mumbled, unaware she said that out loud, rubbing her chin with her free hand. She noticed his eyes to her hilt, and then he openly spoke about it. "That is a question I ask myself... as for its lack of a blade," She says, pulling the odd hilt up, channeling her energy and releasing a bluish blade that was skinny like a rapier and had glowing butterflies flapping away from it; fading as they fluttered away.

"Its all dependent on me." She tapped the side of her head with her free hand. "I can channel my powers to create a blade of any shape just about. It can even be a two handed weapon if I wanted to... and it hasn't failed me... yet he insisted I come here." She shrugged.
Dyn Dreyrbyn Srey
Dyn Dreyrbyn Srey
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post  Crisis Rocan Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:01 pm

Well I wouldn't exactly call it an ability, more like an annoying hiccup that is..

Roll call  Crisis23

Insistent upon driving me bat shit crazy. Does this hat look as stupid as I think it does?

For a moment he paused and flicked the hat in question, it really didn't suit him in the least.

I've seen something like your sword before. In fact I dare say a couple of weapons with similar attributes to that. Though I find the butterflies to be a questionable choice for manifesting the blade. Interesting indeed, wonder why they was chosen. It seems almost tailored to...

He trailed off in mid thought allowing his words to hang in the air, considering her reasons for coming and the words hasn't failed me yet. It sounded as though she herself wasn't sure of the blade she wielded. Perhaps that was part of the problem she didn't know of, he thoughts as he looked around the courtyard and the roll call and muster taking place.

Perhaps you are here because the technique that blade requires to use it is similar in nature to one of the highest secret techniques of the Gunslinger Association.

Crisis Rocan
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post  Dyn Dreyrbyn Srey Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:35 am

Crisis Rocan wrote:Well I wouldn't exactly call it an ability, more like an annoying hiccup that is..

Roll call  Crisis23

Insistent upon driving me bat shit crazy.  Does this hat look as stupid as I think it does?

For a moment he paused and flicked the hat in question, it really didn't suit him in the least.

I've seen something like your sword before.  In fact I dare say a couple of weapons with similar attributes to that.  Though I find the butterflies to be a questionable choice for manifesting the blade.  Interesting indeed, wonder why they was chosen.  It seems almost tailored to...

He trailed off in mid thought allowing his words to hang in the air, considering her reasons for coming and the words hasn't failed me yet.  It sounded as though she herself wasn't sure of the blade she wielded.  Perhaps that was part of the problem she didn't know of, he thoughts as he looked around the courtyard and the roll call and muster taking place.

Perhaps you are here because the technique that blade requires to use it is similar in nature to one of the highest secret techniques of the Gunslinger Association.

She smirked at this. "Oh no, it looks absolutely smashing, dear." She hummed in giggling manner as he flicked the hat. Upon him reacting to the blade's unique properties Dyn raised a dark brow. "Yes... indeed you are correct about the butterflies, when my Grandfather wielded the blade it was something else, feathers or..." she trailed off when he brought up his theory. "Secret technique...? Of the G.A.? That's peculiar indeed... perhaps I should join the ranks myself... but I hear they have an awful, dreadful way of making sure you stay in the club once you join up." she says looking from her blade, deactivating her powers so it became a hilt again, her crystal blue eyes falling upon Crisis with a playful and somewhat coy smirk.
Dyn Dreyrbyn Srey
Dyn Dreyrbyn Srey
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post  Crisis Rocan Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:15 pm

It all started to come together with the gun in my hand after that previous change of looks, frankly I wasn't exactly sure where the time piece came from. I say time piece because it looked like it hadn't been in its prime in a millennium. In fact it had the feel of just that, a gun that hadn't been in my hands by Galiavan reckoning of more than a millennium. Nah it couldn't be, I was sighting down the barrel of the relic when my appearance shifted once again. I shrugged it off as I kept my eyes on the barrel of the gun, noting a few nicks in the chamber of the bullets, nicks along the barrel and a slight flaring of the muzzle from abuse only one kind of shot could produce. A flaring that would have destroyed the gun that fired it. A shot I had not so long ago, repaired the damage of to another gun only a short time after arriving here, somewhere else in the vast world.

Roll call  Crisis24

My eyes adjusted to the sight, off center by a fraction of an inch, and the slight warp at it's base on the muzzle of the gun. I could almost tell from holding it alone, just how to adjust for the warping and shifting of the barrel and sight. The gun had a history of violence, bloody brutal warfare. The kinds of things that were done with this weapon, should have destroyed it long, long ago. But like the other weapon I had fixed, this one held a certain strength and resolve. I had reshaped it myself once long before, allowing for it to outlast its original lifespan. To see it once again, and to hold it in this day and age so long removed from the Century of Blood was a pleasant surprise.

I lowered the gun and started to work the metal with just my hands and an Essence it was badly worn and in need of new life. But for the time being, just slowly fixing the metal of my old sidearm would be a task to accomplish without drawing the attention of the more astute of the Gunslinger Association. Just enough to manipulate the metal for now would do while I continued my conversation with Dyn.

Well they do like to play for keeps around here. Though I have heard a tale or two about special circumstances and other individuals who know of their techniques. Of course that would take an act of some God or another to find one of those types, let alone willing to pass on anything involving them. Could get lucky here though, but if lifelong service to somebody else's whims isn't your thing... well who knows.

I find Luck and Fate to be rather fickle mistresses to dance with.

I could see a few things about the blade, and I could well imagine a few more from the facts that it manifest in different ways. Like the fact that whoever was behind its construction or at least in the design of its functionality had a gift for working with power. Perhaps Toefor had a hand in it, though I wouldn't have bet it was strictly his work, it felt too unnatural to this or any world I had been to. The gun in my hand was starting to glow in a few places, mostly around grip where I had been working to adjust the dents and imperfection time and abuse had done to it.

Personally I don't think the Association is all that it's cracked up to be these days, seems like it's in a bit of a decline. Hard to say really. Part of me just wants to line up with the drones over there and see if their skills are worthwhile. Can't say I'm fond of lifelong service, that could be a bit of a hassle all things considered. But I am curious to size up their skills.

Well we could walk over there and see if they live up to their hype. And who knows maybe someone here can give you some insight for what you're looking for. And if push comes to shove, it could be awfully fun trying to break out of here if it's not worth sticking around. I've got nothing better to do.

I smiled mischievously, but with a hint of playfulness and seduction as I turned to look over to the Aspirants lined up for roll call and theirfirst instruction after mustering in. Gunslingers boasted great powers and fighting skills. But I wondered just how far they had come since the last time I had visited their Academies.

Crisis Rocan
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post  Crisis Rocan Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:48 pm

Aaahh Aaaahh achooooo…

Oh for the love of…

That’s enough of this fucking flitting around from one form to another.  God dammit.  Enough's enough.  Have you ever tried to make freshly squeezed orange juice… from bananas?  Yeah me neither but I’d imagine it’s not that fucking easy, kind of like forcing yourself to stop changing forms every time you fucking sneeze.

Roll call  Crisis30

Eh it’ll do, but this coat and hat will need some seeing too as well as my old gun still does.  I suddenly had a feeling that I was going to have to do some explaining if anyone realized these items were supposed to be inside glass cases in the grand hall of the academy.  Well a little stage dressing might be in order.  The tatters would have to be fixed and patched and hell maybe just renew the whole damn thing. I had the time to fix them anyway.

I lost Dyn in the day's proceedings as all the new recruits were getting squared away for their muster. We were disturbed from our spot off to the side and then she was pulled away into the crowd somewhere.  I haven’t seen her since.  But I know I’ll see her again when the time comes, after all I’m the one who forged her sword in the first place.  I just need time to consider what truly needs to be done with it.

I honestly didn’t have an answer for her at the time, so I saw no reason to tell her I was the one she was looking for.  The weapon is unique in many ways and needs to be handled in as unique a fashion.  I had no idea how long it would take me to settle on the how’s and what's of that.

Regardless, I figured I would spend a little time on my old clothes from the days of being the first Gunslinger first.  The hat was pretty easy to fix, but honestly I had little interest in wearing it, but my old coat, well that would be nice if only it was about four feet too large for my current body.  A shame but nothing for it really.  I suppose somebody is going to freak out when they see the first Gunslinger’s gear restored to its original condition.

I spent a considerable amount of time in the room they politely provided for me, mending and repairing the coat and hat.  Of course how I got them out of the Grand Hall is a trade secret, but how I’m going to put them back will be more fun.  It was enjoyable to just relax for a time and do something as simple and normal as repairing old clothes.  I could go into the details but frankly it just isn’t really that amazing of a process.  You get a needle and thread and you patch the stuff up.  Of course the fact that I was altering the materials and thread to match the old thing is just a minor detail.  By the time I finished it looked as good as new, it might as well be new, of course there was nothing special about the hat and coat other than it belonging to the First Gunslinger, me.  But it’s not really about being special, for me I just wanted to fix something that needed fixing.  Sometimes that’s all the reason one needs to do something.  

Once they were finished I returned them whole to the Grand Hall where they could remain for the foreseeable future.  Returned them right under the noses of two Apprentice Gunslingers who were standing watch.  I had also finished repairing my old gun as well.  Funny really, it wasn’t anything special, none of it was.  Just pointless symbols they decided to use out of reverence to a man who did the impossible against even less probable odds.  For no other reason than that’s the kind of guy I am.  I’ll fight a war that’s already been lost just to stand against fate.  To deny…

No, it’s more about just doing what I feel is needed, to be done.  Right sometimes even wrong, it’s just instinct that guides me time and time again.  Most likely why I’m here.  My instincts putting me where I can be of use.  Things of that nature.  

Sometimes they take the new recruits out in the early morning hours before the sun even rises, in the bitter cold even inside this old castle’s grounds.  They don’t touch firearms, probably not for a good while to come.  Maybe even years if they aren’t physically and mentally ready for the rigors of being a Gunslinger.

Now traditionally speaking Masters choose Apprentices to train personally.  But there is a certain level of impracticalness to this process.  The balance of Gunslingers is precarious this way.  And after countless years of Masters dying in the field, and other losses the process had been changed by the current Head Gunslinger, adding the Enforcer rank.  Master’s who do not take Apprentices, who have taken over the role Masters and their Apprentices used to fill as hired guns by outside sources.

They were still in transition, and these fresh recruits were all a part of this new system, of the expanded system to increase the ranks of the Gunslingers as a whole. I started them, you know.  And yet I really didn’t have anything to do with the formation of the organization at all.  It was founded based on me and my actions, but not what I taught them at the time, well not entirely or more to the point not exactly what I taught them.  Things were twisted, and changed over the long years since the Hundred Years of Blood when the First Gunslinger fought for the local people who would have been mercilessly slaughtered without his actions, without my interference.

So I felt a certain responsibility to see this new system brought to life as well.  To see these new changes made real, to see them actualized.  She was here, the latest Head Gunslinger, the one who changed the status quo to maintain the balance in the lives of her people.  To make sure the Gunslinger Association would survive, but more to the point thrive despite being actively involved in the outside world.  And yet these changes weren’t drastic, subtle mostly.  The primary being the creation of Enforcers, but this change would also mean the need for more Gunslingers in general.  Thus all the new recruits.

Not Apprentices mind you but recruits, aspirants if you will.  People seeking to become true members of the Gunslinger Association.  Most of the time their adults, young adults dreaming of fame and fortune and being cool.  Some are older, much older determined to put themselves to the test before their dying days.  And then there is an even smaller number of recruits, young, sent to become Gunslingers because of natural skills and talents or hopefulness to succeed. They get all kinds, from all ages, races, and walks of life, even some who are born into it, though that isn’t something many hear about.  And often hidden from everyone involved except the Masters involved in keeping the knowledge secret.  Many of the recruits are just kids being taught from the ground up, orphans and the like who have nothing else.  Some are scouted by Masters, but most of the ones that here, now, are all just hopefuls dreaming of being a Gunslinger.

I kind of look the part now.  Since I forced my unfortunate sneeze shapeshifting to a stop.  Don’t really like the red hair on myself but whatever, could be worse.

Crisis Rocan
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post  Crisis Rocan Yesterday at 1:12 am

So again you have to understand the mentality of an Apprentice Gunslinger.  They have to be open to the skills and techniques that will be passed on to them.  To be able to learn them, apply them, and ultimately understand them properly.  But the raw recruits were years away from that kind of training, hell they were years away from handling a gun, or even a knife for survival purposes.  These recruits needed to be toughened up for a long time before they would be given real training.  

I felt like just watching wasn’t really going to be good enough, and yet I didn't want to step into a different role.  Despite wanting to see this new process through, I wasn’t sure which side of it to be involved with.  Not really a big deal.  And then again all things considered my size, shape, and apparent age were speaking volumes for this decision.  I mean come on it’s not like you didn’t see this coming.  Still it’s not how I want to handle it, but to be honest it’s really the only logical way.  I’m going to have to be a guy that can be absolutely average at everything.  Well maybe above average.  Yeah that’s probably not going to workout very well all things considered and my track record included.  

It’s life in a nutshell, SOUND OFF!  That’s how it goes, they get woken up before the sun comes up… you know what?  Fuck it, we’ll do this from the center of the storm.  Rewind!

Up and at’em you godless dogs! The voice rings out disturbing the sleep of the new recruits.  It’s not even one of the Masters, the ones who train Apprentices until they are ready to become full fledged Masters or Enforcers; well not strictly speaking.  There are a series of Apprentices that are lined up to train the recruits, and Aspirants.  These Apprentices work directly under a Master. These Apprentices have been selected for their experience, and understanding of the skills they are to teach.  Some have been selected for their sternness of character and adherence to the principals and ideals of the Gunslinger Association.  

The Master who leads the instructions of new recruits and Aspirants alike is given the title of Master Drill Instructor, Mayster Campidoctor.  The ones who took turns waking and drilling us, were far from masters, but they had a certain flair and passion for the work of the instructors.  No doubt most of them would go on to become Masters and take Apprentices to teach, while being available to help instruct the recruits and Aspirants as well.  Under this new system that included Enforcers the bulk of the Gunslinger Association was to be taught one set of Master’s skills as a basic standard for all new recruits and Aspirants going forward.  

A universal standard for the future generations of the GA to learn before being taken on by a Master properly to finish their training and earn their right to the title of Master or Enforcer if they so desired.  Enforcers as well could return to the Gunslinger Association Academies and finish their training if they wished to resign from the mercenary work of the GA to help train future generations, once their training was completed.

Three recruits were dumped from their cots by the Apprentice Drill Instructors.  And everyone who didn’t hustle outside was rushed out by a swift kick in the ass.  Did I say it was raining, yeah it’s probably raining right now, and icy splashes against your half dressed skin sucks.  Freezing rain splashing across our bodies as we start out long before the sun comes up falling into ranks.  But not for long, the ADI’s have us wind sprinting the length of the training yard on castle’s right side field.  While on the left side of the field the actual Aspirants, the new recruits who have sworn their lives away, err I mean taken their oaths continue the drills they were already up and doing before us fresh recruits were rushed outside.  

There is a certain magical protection inside the walls of the castle, but that only dulls the effects of the elements.  We still feel it, we still have to contend with the effects both during and after.  They do keep track of all the new recruit’s health, but that doesn’t mean they stop it from happening.  Some lessons need to be learned the hard way, and some recruits only learn the hard way. Not me, I’m not that lucky,  but it doesn’t change that fact wind sprints are bullshit.  Especially when you’re running the length of a fucking castle courtyard.  Wind sprints more like death runs.  Again.  Again.  AGAIN! Then they start the fun as they call it.  

Half the ADI’s pull new recruits, who are holding up with the running part of the morning taking them into the center of the field forcing the sprinters to wave and dodge around us.  And that isn’t as easy as it sounds, as we are instructed to do blocking drills.  And I mean blocking.  Everything and anything that is coming at us, we are told to stop it all, attacks from the ADI’s, the other recruits around us being attacked, and the sprinters as well.  If it can hit us we are to block it.  This isn’t the first day of training, not for most of these raw recruits.  Sure it might be my official first day, but these guys have been doing it for weeks now.  The ones still running death sprints will be kept at it until they satisfy their ADIs with their progress.  A few will fail out here, not being able to hold up to the minimum standard the GA and MDI have set for their Aspirants, but it could be a couple of years before they are released and allowed to leave.

The same is true for all of the new recruits so long as they have not been officially sworn in as an Aspirant.  They will continue at each stage of their trial training until they pass or fail out.  It’s the way of things.

My training started before the others were woken up the next day.  Two ADIs came to get me, while another small group woke the recruits who had progressed to the blocking drills.  After a couple of death sprints they started their blocking training, while I was escorted outside of the castle and back along the roadway, out into the open fields around the Academy.  Mostly in silence,apparently they needed room for this next step in the training.  Room that the castle courtyard either couldn’t supply or wouldn’t be a distraction for the other recruits and Aspirants.

I felt insulted, I really did, but I didn’t say anything about it, these two were out of their league, but you know I wasn’t trying to be special.  Things just are what they are, and they were sent to sound me out more specifically to start training me for the next stage of recruit training.  So they went slow, god awfully slow.  I could recite the entire contents of the Encyclopedia Britannica unabridged in three different languages before one of their hits landed.  And they said just do my best to block their attacks.  I stopped myself from laughing at that.

They went slow, even slower than we had been going with the mayhem of the blocking training in the courtyard.  At first they were slowly increasing their attack speeds, then they changed pace each moving at a different speed and timing.  I wasn’t phased by this, in fact it was the first entertaining thing I’d done since showing up next to fixing my old gear and slipping it unnoticed back where it sat on display.  I did at least give myself a handicap. I used both hands, as often as I could to block them individually, and I didn’t use my legs at all and only rarely did I use an elbow either.  

You know those good fight scenes where the Aisian good guy is getting his ass kicked, by a half a dozen bad guys or more, and they have to fling their arms around to block at the last second.  Half being pushed around taking more hits than they would be in the next fight scene, or if they got their, I’m the hero and pissed second wind going.  It was kind of like that minus the whole getting hit thing, I don’t particularly care for taking a punch if I can avoid it.  Doesn’t always work out but against these two, even with them constantly speeding up I had plenty of time to block two handed most of their attacks most of the time.  Like I said occasionally I had to throw an elbow to stop them from connecting.  Although a good number of my blocks were fist to fist or forearm to make it feel like they were getting in good solid hits.  

Throwing a fight while not actually losing it isn’t as easy as it sounds, especially when it's two on one and there is a third party keeping a close eye on it from the castle wall.  A very close eye mind you.  The MDI was watching, he’s always watching, they are always watching, the current MDI and just as often other Masters are watching as well.  Always looking for a promising new recruit to single out.  

I would have been just such a candidate had I not already had other plans when I finished with my curiosity.  But that's neither here nor there.  Hand to hand combat training basics in the frigid cold.  Not exactly the next step, but I was outside of their expectations, so they wanted to see if I was really above and beyond. But this is just the start of my outside training session.

Crisis Rocan
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down